We are conducting a study to investigate the effectiveness of a narrative intervention on children’s language outcomes (word learning and narrative structure). During the intervention, we will create stories in English and Spanish aimed to teach children unknown words. The intervention will last for 9 weeks (2 sessions per week). This information will help us understand how teachers and clinicians can improve vocabulary-teaching practices for children with hearing loss.
Who Can Participate? Participation is completely voluntary.
We are looking for children who:
- Have a permanent hearing loss
- Are between the ages of 4 and 8 years
- Speak English and Spanish (at least some)
What’s Involved? The intervention will be delivered at the Therapy Institute. Participation requires 18 visits of 40 minutes over a 9 weeks period (twice a week). During the first 2 weeks, children will be asked to do these things:
- Hearing test: To assess how well your child hears (we can give you a copy of the results if you want)
- English and Spanish vocabulary test: To assess how many words your child knows
- Non-verbal intelligence quotient: To know the intelligence quotient
- Caregiver questionnaire: To learn about your child’s hearing loss and language level
After this testing is done, your child will participate in a 6-week narrative intervention. During the intervention, the clinician will teach a few words to your child using stories. You will be able to observe the sessions. Finally, on week 9 we will assess gains in vocabulary and language.
How much will my child be paid? Each child will receive free therapy and $50. Transportation incentives are also available.
Call: If you have any questions about the study or if you would like to enroll your child, call Beatriz de Diego at (602) 329-7524. You may also send an email to email@example.com or complete this sign up form. Appointments are available Monday through Thrusday.
Address: Midwestern University, Therapy Institute, 2nd floor, room 375
5815 West Utopia, Glendale, AZ 85308
Glendale, AZ 85308
Parking: Free parking will be provided during your visit